Friday, February 21, 2014

A Mini Book.................By Suzy Cucumber.

Pattern from Making Books and Journals, designed by Paula Beardell Krieg.

To make one of these little cuties, you'll need:
○ Paint chips (I taped two together to get 9½ in. for the length.)
○ Embossing tool & pattern folder
○ Wide paper packing tape (which I wish I had used instead of clear packing tape)
○ Craft Glue
○ Scissors
○ Ruler
○ Craft Knife

For one signature, you'll need:
○ White paper, six pieces cut 2 by 4¾ in.
○ About 10 in. of twine, ribbon, or silky cord

1. Tape the paint chips together lengthwise using the paper packing tape. I used clear packing tape, and it took more glue, weight, and time to stick together. You'll cut the taped paint chips to 2 by 9½ in. for the book cover.

2. I embossed my paint chip cover using an embossing tool and script pattern to give it texture. I also gave the embossed paint chip a quick sand with sandpaper to reveal the white backing, which really brought out the pattern.


3. Score the cover according to the diagram below.

4. Score and fold the top corners in on the diagonal to create a point and glue the flaps to the inside of the cover. Then fold up the bottom section at the score line and glue the two 2¼–in. sections together.

5. You'll make the signature next. Cut a piece of typing paper into six pieces, 2 by 4¾ in. each. Fold each piece in half separately and then nest them together.

6. Match the folded signature to the top fold under the point made in Step 4. Close the cover and snip the top corners off the cover and signature fold, which will keep the cord in place. Open the cover and wrap the 10–in. piece of cord from the center of the signature fold to the outside of the cover. Give it a knot, and tie knots in the ends of the cord.

7. Close the top and bottom edges over the signature and cut a slit for the point in the bottom edge of the cover. To determine where to cut, leave about ⅝ in. on each side of the point. Use a craft knife and metal ruler. Don't cut into the signature below!



Now, write your book.


I'm going to write my favorite quotes in my mini book.


Jelly bean books are a satisfying little project. Better than a handful of real jelly beans.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen so many neat ideas with paint chips, but haven't tried any of them yet. I don't have an embossing tool, but I think I could still use the technique to do something cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are so many things you can do with paint chips. I thought this was a great idea to add to a scrapbook page.

      Delete